Follow by Email

Friday, February 24, 2012

Yoga at the Barre

Hello Everyone!

Yes, that is how 'barre' is spelled,  if you don't like it, take it up with the French :) After receiving my teacher's approval I have decided to put up my first yoga video on youtube. For those of you who come to my classes, this is not new stuff. For those of you who have never tried stretching on the ballet bar, you have been missing out!!

It all started one day when I happened to see my ass while walking across a room. It seemed to enter the room a good 10 seconds after me. And so I did what every normal person does, i dusted off my puma's and jumped on the treadmill. After running for about 47 seconds, I stopped, leaned over into a forward bend, held on to the handles and dear life, and thought, 'This feels kinda nice.' What started as one stretch became a 10 min routine. Ideally, this bar would be a few inches lower, and it might also be nice if we had a bar a few inches off the ground, we could explore seated and supine poses.

     Many of my students love this stuff. They see it as a complete treat when we do it. It's great for your upper back, neck, shoulders and hips. Having the bar to hold on to takes out a lot of the work. It also helps that we take the balance factor out of the poses. The poses shown in this video are not meant to be held for long periods of time as you would in your regular yoga practice. The goal is to work on tight spots and help facilitate stretching. That being said these exercises are a great way to complement a routine yoga practice.  I am sure there are many more poses you could do. If you come up with anything new, would love to hear about it. Remember:
  •  Feel free to explore what your body likes, your options are only as limited as your imagination.
  •  Maintain a curiosity, and adopt a safe approach.
  • This is your practice. You control how you feel and where your body goes.
  • Give in to your body and your breath, the release will come.
  • The most important thing to do is to breathe. You are physically making space in your body each time you stretch, so send your breath there and see what you find.
You will see my husband, Emre in the background. I also have a cold, hence the sniffling. I am also fairly conscious about the camera and myself. I am also battling a recent addiction to Lays Sweet Southern Heat Barbeque Chips.


 If you are not sure of something, about how it should feel or how to get into it, feel free to contact me. I am more than happy to answer any questions. I hope this helps you as much as it has helped me and my students. 

Namaste



No comments:

Post a Comment